LIVE 2013 will feature a plenary session, two paper and demo sessions, and a final session for a "birds of a feather" (BOF) activity.
Talks will be presented in fast-paced and engaging Pecha Kucha/lightning talk style, organized into thematic groups with joint discussion at the end of each group.
Plenary session (8:30–10:30)
Speakers: Steve Tanimoto, David Ungar/Randy Smith, and Thor Magnusson
Steve Tanimoto will be revisiting his framework on "liveness" and thoughts on new levels and directions. David Ungar and Randy Smith will be jointly talking about the hugely inspirational systems ARK and Self. Thor Magnusson will be speaking about the history of the live coding music scene and his newest live coding system. A panel discussion will wrap up the session.
Morning break (10:30–11:00)
Session I (11:00–12:30)
- Introducing Circa: A dataflow-based Language for Live Coding – #language #graphics
- [DEMO] Improvisation on a live-coded mobile musical instrument using urMus (3rd place!) – #music #cscw
- [DEMO] Visual code annotations for cyberphysical programming – #visualization #music
- [DEMO] Conception (1st place!) – #IDE #debugging
- [DEMO] Interactive Code Execution Profiling – #profiling #visualization
- [DEMO] Making Methods Live in Newspeak – #language #runtime
Live Programming in the IDE
- [DEMO] Code Hint (2nd place!) – #IDE #API #search
- Live feedback on behavioral changes – #unittesting #liverefactoring #softeng
Before lunch break: birds of a feather clustering — each participant will post three sticky notes onto a communal board, with one topic of interest per note.
Lunch (12:30–2:00; banquet room)
Eat! Workshop organizers will cluster BOF sticky notes and prepare topic groups.
Session II (2:00–4:00)
Visions / Language
- Live Logic Programming – #language #vision
- Semantic Deltas for Live DSL Environments – #vision #language #softeng
- [DEMO] Euclase: A Live Development Environment with Constraints and FSMs – #IDE #statemachines
- Co-Evolution as the Key for Live Programming – #IDE #language
Tools: Mashing Avocados and Bananas
- Live Mashup Tools: Challenges and Opportunities – #hypercard #media
- SOMETHINGit: A Prototyping Library for Live and Sound Improvisation" – #language #soundness
- [DEMO] Noise: Human-readable graphics language – #IDE #graphics
Start break-out, Form up BOF groups
Workshop organizers will present BOF topics and give further instructions. Groups start meeting!
Working Break (4:00–4:30)
Groups may begin meeting, or form and then pause for refreshments
Activities (BOF) Session (4:30–6:00)
Continue in break-out groups
Activities Closing Circle @ 5:30
- Groups present discussion of breakout groups
- Show any cool hacks
- Take-away messages and thoughts for future.
Dinner, Henry's Hunan Restaurant
Meet 6:45pm at lobby
924 Sansome St, San Francisco, CA 94111